History

The foundation of the German Academy for Language and Literature was publically announced on 28 August, 1949 in St Paul’s Church in Frankfurt am Main. The Academy is located in Darmstadt since 1951.

1949 – Difficult Beginnings
1950s – Democratisation
1968 – Turbulent Times
1989 – East-West Issues
1997 – Questions of Language
2006 – an Academy in Europe